If you are close to me, you know I don’t do resolutions for a new year. I don’t like them, because to me they seem restrictive. Who wants to make resolutions about things they want to stop doing in their life? I guess bad habits are a good thing to cut, but I don’t like to be told I cannot do/have something. Instead, I try to turn it around and set goals for myself. I’m pretty goal-oriented, so it works for me.
This past year (2013), I met all 3 goals I made for myself:
- Learning to knit (I took a class and am still slowly learning);
- Running a sub 7-minute mile (accomplished, although my average pace has gotten slower than it was in 2012 overall. I’m ok with that);
- Getting back into photography! If you follow my blog, you know that I am all over that one. LOVE it!
So, now I’m thinking ahead to 2014 and want to set 3 more goals. Here they are in no certain order. I just hope to accomplish them this coming year.
- Set a new running PR of some sort (it might be a pace, a distance or just a tough race…haven’t decided yet);
- Read 25 books. I miss reading and want to make more time to do it. This one’s gonna be tough!;
- Find a new service project that is for a cause other than something work-related. I’m already very involved in work-related volunteer activities, but I want to try something different than the usual industry-type stuff I have done the past few years and still do. Maybe I will find another hobby in the process?
Of course, I still want to continue knitting (I’ve already forgotten a lot since last winter) and my photography. I’m glad that those goals have become long-term hobbies. 🙂 But it’s always fun to try new things, too.
I came across this quote online and wanted to share. Happy New Year!
Do you make resolutions each year? Or do you prefer to make goals to accomplish something new? What are your goals or resolutions for 2014?